Monday, November 5, 2007

End of an Era: Computer World (Vic) Pty Ltd

The other day, I received a letter from a company down in Melbourne:

http://www.grantthornton.com.au/business-portal/melbourne/computer-world-victoria-pty-limited.aspx

It is a letter stating that my former employer is into receivership.

I guess that was a matter of time. Thinking back when suppliers would not release goods and paychecks are not forthcoming as promised; you sort know that there is a cash flow problem.

Imagine running a business with only 5% margin!

Well, computers and PC peripherals shops are so many, from top end stores to garage-ran business, you can't be blamed for running out of business. The competition is so stiff that margin tends to be so small. I am amazed that businesses can survive that long, let alone one that started life in 1992.

Working for that mob for nearly four years, while not the greatest experience of my life; have taught me some facts about running and how not to run a business! It is so easy to talk about shortcomings and be an armchair critic. But to be in the actual firing line. I am not amazed that at one stage the owner sufferred a heart attack! You can also recall how the owner of another Victorian icon, Crazy John, died of a heart attack just recently.

With consumers wanting cheaper products, greater support, customer service and free after sales service, businesses will not stop closing down. While is it not a justification for shody and unethical businesses, it is a powerful motivation to do the wrong thing if your business' survival depends on it.

Now with the closure of this business, people who bought from them would have to find ways to access their various warranties. From experience there is no problem with laptops, printers, LCD screens and TV. But the rest of the components and PC assembled by Computer World (unless you took out one of those 3 year warranty from a 3rd party supplier!); there would be a lot of angst finding warranty.

If the product is Seagate, Logitech, Western Digital, etc., I suggest you go to the manufacturer's web site. Seagate and Logitech are some of the best manufacturers when it comes to warranty claims. That is from my experience.

Any problem with warranty, you can post your query to me and I will be glad to answer them. A good tip, if you still have the CWorld red bar code sticker attached to your component or box, that tells you the wholesaler, invoice and invoice date. Some of the best suppliers are Altech and Synnex comes to mind.

But working for CWorld gave me contacts in the industry, I've formed some lasting friendships as well and gave me the experience and knowledge of new PC stuff. I am sorry for their loss as well.

No comments: